Over the weekend, Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI) called out Congress for hypocrisy, tweeting that each party applied different ethical standards based on who’s in office.
“We’ve witnessed members of Congress from both parties shift their views 180 degrees—on the importance of character, on the principles of obstruction of justice—depending on whether they’re discussing Bill Clinton or Donald Trump,” Amash tweeted on Saturday.
As the Politico reports, several Republicans are unsettled by Trump’s refusal to agree to oversight.
“Senior House Republicans are breaking with Donald Trump over the president’s legal claims that Congress can’t investigate whether a commander-in-chief violated the law,” writes Politico.
“That view, advanced by Trump’s personal attorney and White House counsel late last week, would upend long-held understandings about Congress’ ability to scrutinize presidential conduct — especially alleged criminal activity.”
The report cites several Republicans who bristle at Trump’s refusal to acknowledge their authority.
“I’m in Congress. I’m aligned with Congress. I’m not aligned with the executive branch. And I think we have oversight authority over the administration,” said Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.), a member of the House Judiciary Committee, told the Politico. “And if the president has acted illegally, then I think we have oversight authority.”
Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.) agreed.
“Obviously there is such a thing as congressional oversight,” Cole said.
Rep. Mike Conaway (R-Texas) noted that no president enjoys being the target of a Congressional probe but that’s why the legislative branch exists.
“Nobody being investigated likes it. President Obama didn’t like it. Attorney General Holder didn’t like it. That’s why we have a third branch of government to litigate it,” said Conaway. “It’s exactly the normal tug of war.”
Popular Posts This Week
- PORNSTAR’S REAL NAMES REVEALED
- Here's How Trump's Reckless 'America First' Policies Could Be Setting Up US Consumers for a Nasty Shock
- How German Women Suffered Largest Mass Rape in History by Soviets
- Former POTUS Bill Clinton: “This Massive Ecostructure of Hating Jews has Now Gone Viral”
- Coronavirus Crisis Elevates "Antisemitic", "Racist" Tropes
- Tax-funded Drinking Study Was Pre-planned To Reflect Alcohol As Beneficial
- Surgeon Reveals Why Texting Causes So Much Neck Stress
- Jewish Vaccine Proponent Dr. Carol Baker: “We’ll Just Get Rid of all the Whites in the United States…”
- Jews Control the Media
- Florida GOP Candidate Ron DeSantis (White Freemason) Lose Control When Asked About Speeches He Gave to a Racist Organization